This is vegan junk food at its finest. We polished these off finger food style without even adding a side dish. You could easily serve these as an appetizer or an entree with a couple of sides. They’re addicting because of the combination of crunch, tender mushroom, and sweet BBQ sauce.
2 portobello mushrooms ($2.99)
1 cup plain breadcrumbs ($0.35)
(For the marinade)
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar ($0.20)
3 tbsp. ketchup ($0.30)
2 tbsp. bbq sauce (store bought or your own) ($0.30)
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce (FYI- not all brands are vegan, but many are) ($0.10)
1 tsp. mollases ($0.12)
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Stem and thickly slice portobello caps.
3. Now you’ll prepare your marinade. Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, ketchup, mollases, worcestershire, and bbq sauce in a small mixing bowl.
4. Bathe the mushrooms slices in the sauce and drop each one into your plastic bag. Pour any remaining sauce into the bag with the mushrooms, zip it closed and place it in the fridge.
5. While the mushrooms are marinating, cover a baking sheet in parchment paper. Also get a small bowl (I used a soup bowl) and fill it with breadcrumbs.
6. Evenly coat each mushroom slice in breadcrumbs. This part got a bit messy for me because I just used my fingers, but it’s worth it! Line them on the baking sheet, they can be quite close to one another as long as they aren’t actually touching.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Let cool for a couple of minutes and then plate or just eat! I served mine with extra bbq sauce because I love dipping sauces.
I made them look classy for this finished picture, but we finished them all in one sitting while standing in the middle of the kitchen.