Pillowy herb dumplings and fragrant carrot broth are the perfect remedy to a freezing cold walk home from the train. Country style vegan dumplings like these are easy enough to make on a whim, you could easily use them in any number of stocks. I think that next I’ll try them with a tomato based broth and Italian herbs.
(for the soup)
8 cups vegetable stock
6 large carrots
4 large leeks
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 pinch ground cloves
(for the dumplings)
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup boiling water
2 tbsp. non-dairy butter
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. dill
1 tsp. basil
1. Halve and slice your leeks. I only use the end, of the leeks- once the green color deepens it becomes tougher, I only use the white and light green part. Dice your garlic, and peel and chop your carrots.
2. Saute garlic and leeks in some olive oil. I do this in the pot I will be making the soup in. Saute for high uncovered for 5 minutes. Then saute over low heat, covered, for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Add vegetable stock, and carrots to pot. Cook over high heat, uncovered for 15 minutes. Lower heat slightly and cover, let cook for an additional 30 minutes.
4. Add in onion powder, oregano, and cloves. Let soup cool for a bit and use an immersion blender to puree. Be careful if the soup is hot, it could easily splash. Puree evenly and completely, so that the carrot stock becomes perfectly smooth and creamy.
5. Keep soup on low heat uncovered as you make your dumpling dough.
6. Sift flour into large mixing bowl. Add in baking powder, salt, sugar, sage, dill, basil, boiling water, and non-dairy butter. Your dough will get nice and elastic, and that’s when it’s time to cook your dumplings.
7. Turn the heat up on your soup pot, make sure it is strongly simmering. Spoonful by spoonful, take lumps of the dough and drop it into the carrot soup. I allow a few seconds between each dumpling, it gives them a moment to solidify before you drop in the next pocket of dough. Simmer for about an additional 10 minutes, and serve.
Look at these perfect warm pockets of dough.