These beautiful acorn squash halves are rubbed with fragrant spices and stuffed with artichokes, chickpeas, broccoli couscous, pecans, cranberries, and garlic. This elegant vegan entree is perfect for a holiday or dinner party- this recipe serves eight but could easily be doubled.
4 acorn squash ($12.05)
1 can artichoke hearts ($3.99)
1 can chickpeas ($0.33)
1 small head broccoli ($0.75)
1/3 cup pecans, chopped ($0.40)
2 tbsp. dried cranberries ($0.05)
2 tbsp. non-dairy butter ($0.30)
1/2 tsp. sambar masala ($0.08) – you may substitute with the curry powder of your choice
3 cloves of garlic ($0.05)
3 tbsp. vegetable oil ($0.15)
1/2 tsp. basil ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. sage ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. tumeric ($0.05)
4 tbsp. almond milk ($0.20)
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Halve squash, rub butter into the flesh of each half and sprinkle evenly with curry powder. Bake on non-stick surface for about 50 minutes.
3. While squash is baking, puree broccoli florets in a food processor, I call this broccoli couscous because of the texture the broccoli takes on. Chop your garlic and pecans and quarter your artichoke hearts (set artichokes aside for now).
4. Saute chickpeas, broccoli garlic, pecans and cranberries in vegetable oil. Add in basil, red pepper flakes, sage, and tumeric. Saute for about 10 minutes.
5. Add in artichoke hearts and almond milk, saute for an additional 5-10 minutes, mix gently but throughly. Set aside when done.
6. When the squash are nice and tender, remove from the oven and fill each halve with your artichoke mixture.
Look how lovely these are! Now you can serve them and enjoy- happy holidays!