Creamy penne with simmered tomatoes and hearty broccoli is quick and easy for any weeknight dinner. I was lucky to find a good deal on vegan sausage this week, I only use two from a pack of four to keep the cost low- but you could easily omit it altogether to drive the cost down even more. I’ll be exploring homemade sausages more in the future, which will make this recipe even cheaper, but I think it’s still a great deal as it is. This makes six dinner sized servings.
1 box penne ($1.00)
2 vegan sausages ($1.50)
1 head broccoli ($1.76)
1/3 cup water
1 tomato ($1.00)
4 tbsp. olive oil ($0.64)
4 cloves garlic ($0.03)
1 tbsp. basil ($0.05)
1/2 tsp. onion powder ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. cumin ($0.03)
The secret to making this and easy and quick meal is all in the order that you do things.
1. First fill a pot with water, and set it on the stove to boil. When it is boiling, cook your pasta.
2. As the water heats, chop your tomatoes and garlic. Throw them in a large pot with 2 tbsp. olive oil and all the herbs. Mix them well and keep over low heat, covered for about 10 minutes.
3. As the tomato mixture heats and the pasta cooks, chop your broccoli and thinly slice your sausages. Slicing the sausage very thinly makes the dish feel heartier. Once you’re done chopping, add the broccoli and water to the tomato pot.
4. Keep the tomato and broccoli covered over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add in sausage, and keep covered for reminder of pasta cooking time.
5. When pasta is done cooking, drain- but only rinse lightly (this will help thicken the sauce).
6. Mix pasta into the tomato sausage mixture gently and completely- add in the last 2 tbsp. olive oil and mix again.
I let mine sit on the heat for about 5 or 10 minutes after this while I got our dishes and other dinner things ready- but you could serve it immediately if you wanted to. I also added a bit of nutritional yeast to mine- fresh basil would have been delicious too.
This is so creamy and good- I love the heartiness of the broccoli.