Usually when I make things like tacos or salads, things that should be quick and easy, I go way overboard. I add in a dozen ingredients and toppings and things basically just get out of control. I really hit the nail on the head with this one though, I kept it simple and easy and quick, which is really ideal for tacos. I seasoned it to emulate a smoky marinated pork taste, and I think I succeeded. I’ll definitely be keeping this in my arsenal of busy weeknight recipes.
1 green bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 block tempeh
1 medium tomato
2 tbsp. adobo sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. arabic 7 spice
A Quick Note about Arabic 7 Spice
You can order Arabic 7 Spice online or purchase it in most middle eastern stores. If you’d rather you can also make it yourself, it contains: 2 tbsp. ground black pepper, 2 tbsp. paprika, 2 tbsp, ground cumin, 1 tbsp ground coriander, 1 tablespoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp, ground cardamom.
You can place it in a jar for future use since this makes quite a bit. I find it to be worth the effort because this particular combination of spices creates the smokiest, meatiest (but not in a gross way) seasoning, nothing else compares to it. It adds an instant multifaceted layer to any basic meal, from veggie burgers to tofu to greens.
Whew, ok I’m done. Now on to the recipe:
1. Chop all of your ingredients, including tempeh (but you won’t be using the tempeh right away so set it to the side). Try to dice everything approximately the same size, it helps with the texture of the taco filling.
2. Heat peppers and tomatoes over medium high for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in diced tempeh, adobo sauce, onion powder, olive oil, and 7 spice. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
4. Fill your tacos, you could use hard shell or larger tortillas here- I used soft corn tortillas.
5. Now add any of your favorite taco toppings, and serve! I use sour cream (tofutti), fresh cilantro, lime, and chipotle hot sauce. I finished this plate off moments after this picture was taken.