This lovely little casserole is a perfect side dish for a potluck. Layered with zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, and hearty baked tofu, it browns very nicely in the oven and reheats beautifully.
1 yellow squash ($0.30)
1 zucchini ($0.34)
1 orange bell pepper ($0.89)
1 block soft tofu ($1.85)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil ($0.05)
2 tbsp. non-dairy butter ($0.10)
1 tsp. dill ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. cumin ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. coriander ($0.03)
1/2 tsp. onion powder ($0.03)
1/4 tsp. cayenne ($0.02)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice squash and zucchini, and dice bell pepper.
3. Grease dish with oil and layer with zucchini. Set aside, now cook your tofu.
4. Crumble soft tofu in a pan, add in peppers, herbs, and non-dairy butter. Saute for 10 minutes on high.
5. Layer sauteed tofu mixture on top of zucchini in casserole dish. Then add another layer of zucchini and yellow squash, reserving enough to make a design on the very top of the casserole. Spread the remaining tofu mixture on top of the squash and zucchini.
6. Now make a pattern with the reserved squash. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and add a few cranks of fresh black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Now serve! Use a slotted spoon as there may be a bit of reserve liquid on the bottom of the casserole. The extra liquid is important, it enables you to easily re-heat the casserole without it drying out.